Of US Visas and White Christmas




So you want to go to the US and finally tick it off your bucket list but are hesitant to take the next step?  Take heart, you are not alone.  While getting a visa seems daunting, preparation is KEY. Plus a big dash of LUCK 😊

When  you search the net, you find A LOT of articles of people sharing their experiences in securing that elusive US VISA.  I got mine 10 years ago, and I have since helped my family and relatives secure theirs, too. (Yep, I am helpful that way).  Not every attempt was successful though; there were also painful rejections. (I will share each journey in separate posts.)

From these collective experiences, I have learned what worked and what didn’t.  So here goes, my own dirty dozen tips to getting your visa.

(Disclaimer:  I don’t work for any travel agency and neither claim to be an expert in this field. Just happy to share is all πŸ˜Š)

1. In life, as it is on getting your US visa, honesty is the best policy.  Way before your scheduled interview, your online application was already carefully verified by trained personnel -- any inconsistency between their findings and your claims are automatic RED FLAGS. 

2. Consistency is  crucial.  What you write on the online application form MUST tally with your answer on the actual interview.   Case in point:  One 70ish grandma was denied her application simply because her answer to the consul’s question “How long do you intend to stay in the US?” was 5 months while her application form stated 3 months. 

Which brings us to the next tip;

3. Print and review you application form.  As soon as you complete filling up the application form online, you are given the option to either print it or submit it right away.  I suggest you print it first, so you can review it before the actual interview.  Please note:  once you click the submit button, the system automatically closes, and you can no longer retrieve the application form. 

No printer? No problem. Take a screenshot of each page using your camphone. I did that one time, and it worked just fine.

4. Practice makes perfect.  I did a dry-run with everyone I assisted before I sent them out  for  battle πŸ˜Š.  I made sure they remembered important details such as:


  • Purpose of visit (this is a standard question for all!)
  • Name and address of the person you are visiting
  • Length of stay
  • When do you plan to visit?
  • Names (and addresses) of family members and relatives in the US – parents, children, siblings
  • What other countries you have been to and when

5. Complete documents.  Not one of those I assisted was asked to provide documents (remember: they already did a “ background” check on you), but you have to be ready with these in case they ask.  

On top of the usual PSA certified 
Birth Certificates and Marriage Certificates, you just might be asked  to show Certificates of Employment with compensation, approved requests for leave and ITR (if employed).  

For students, these could be school records, such as a 
certificate of enrollment and school ID.  

For those with own businesses, these could be 
ITRregistration papers.  

For those with sponsors, you might be asked to provide 
proofs of the sponsor’s income (pay slips) and employment.  Sponsors are also required to fill up a separate Affidavit of Support Form found here

Also, use a clear file folder where you can organize your files more efficiently. Saves time in retrieving IF asked to furnish.

6. Be there early.  My maternal aunt was scheduled for 8:45 am, but when we reached the US Embassy at around 7:15 am, they were already herding applicants inside for the 8:30 slot.

7. Calm and collected works wonders.  Breathe properly.

    8. Wear comfortable clothes.  Self-explanatory. Really.

    9.  If possible, tag someone along to babysit your gadgets while you are inside. The embassy has strict rules on what items are allowed and not. Take note of this.

10.   Remember to KISS - to  Keep IShort, Stupid!  (Pardon the French).  Clear, straightforward answers are the order of the day.  Never beat around the bush, or volunteer information that are not asked.

For instance, when the consul asks what the purpose of your visit is – just state it simply without further justification or explanation. If your purpose is to visit a sick family member (which is our case), then just say: I would like to visit my sick _______.  Don’t expound on the illness unless asked.  

Side tip:  If you are visiting a family member who is about to give birth, it is best to say just visit the baby and the mother.  YOU ARE NOT GOING THERE TO TAKE CARE OF the child.  You know why? Taking care of a child is actually a job, and you are not supposed to work there, and neither should you displace a US citizen from actually doing THAT work.

11.   Have a hearty breakfast, and hydrate, but go easy on the caffeine. Let’s not work up those already frayed nerves, alright?

12.   Smile. Just because.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Visa Story #3: My Uncle’s

US Visa Story #1: Mine