US Visa Story #1: Mine
This will be a series of US visa stories of each family
member and relatives I have helped, both successful and not.
US Visa Story 1: Mine
Let us start this series of visa stories with mine. Ten
years ago, my sibs and I had to secure US visas to visit our ill father. He suffered a massive hemorrhage and the
prognosis was extremely poor.
Back then, booking an appointment for a US visa interview
was done very differently. One had to call a hotline to schedule an appointment,
and each minute of call cost an arm and a leg! (Something like Php55/minute! Gasp!). There was no rushing the hotline
representative either – they had to stick to a script / protocol. Boy, did they
take their own sweet time, indeed!
Visa fee payment then was around Php6k+ which was paid at
any BPI branch. If I remember correctly, the visa application forms were handed
out from BPI, after payment of the visa
fee.
I was in charge of filling up the forms, and securing all
the necessary documents from NSO (now PSA) for all of us. My US-based sib (who
took care of our Papa) sent the medical records, along with an invitation
letter addressed to all of us. We each took care of our own certificates of
employment or business papers. There were 5 of us.
I booked us an appointment sometime March 2009. I remember
that our appointment was around 7:30 in the morning. Unfortunately, one sibling forgot to bring
her passport! (horrors!, but that’s for another post).
We trooped to the US Embassy, all fidgety because of this
sibling who forgot her passport (she did not make it to the interview, but
eventually got her own and later followed us to the US.)
Interview Proper (Note: We were interviewed
together)
Consul:
So what is the purpose of your visit?
Me:
To visit our sick father, sir.
Consul: How long do you plan to stay in
the US?
Me: Only for 2 months, sir.
Consul: There’s supposed to be 5 of
you, today. What happened to the other one?
Me: She forgot her passport, sir.
Consul (addressing me): What is the nature of your business, ma’am?
Me: (explaining the nature of my
business)
Consul (addressing my youngest sib):
What about you, sir?
Youngest sib: government employee, sir
Consul (addressing our eldest sib):
What is the nature of your business, sir?
Eldest sib: I am into trading of _____
Consul: Can you please specifically
explain the nature of the business?
Eldest sib: (Probably lacking of sleep
having come from Baguio for a golf tournament, sort of fumbled with his answer)
Me (to the rescue): Sir, his business
is …..
Consul (to me): Are you the one handling
the business for him?
Me: No sir
Consul (slightly annoyed at this point): Then let him answer the question
himself
Eldest sib: (Still unable to clearly
explain. Strong coffee + lack of sleep = bad combination)
Consul to another sib: What is the nature
of your job, sir?
Another sib: I am head of IT department
of a government office…
Consul (after about a minute): Okay, ma’am (me) , I can give you a visa, sir
(sib who works as IT head), I can also give you a visa. But you, sir (eldest
sib) I can not give you a visa yet. Sir (youngest sib, who worked as driver for
a government office), I am sorry I can not also give you a visa at this time
since you have no economic ties to the country.
And just
like that, in 5 minutes, our fates were sealed.
Barely a
month after, my eldest sib was finally given a visa, so was my other sib who
forgot her passport. (But that’s for another post.)
Some Final
thoughts
- Speak only when spoken to. If it is not your story to tell, then hold that tongue, alright?
- Check if your documents are complete before leaving the house, passports, most importantly. Because of this sib’s careless mistake, we all became fidgety and lost our focus somehow.
- Have a good rest (the night before the interview)
- Practice. (Although we could not have done that because we had no idea what the questions would be.)
Comments
Post a Comment